We get it! It’s one thing buying lovely artwork, it’s quite another getting it framed and up on the wall.
Make your walls smile with our quick trend guide to framing and hanging your prints.
1. Floating art trend
You don’t have to stick with the normal backing or mounting. There is a current trend for suspending art inside frames to make it look like it’s floating. Here are some ways to achieve the look:
a). IKEA frame hack:
One of IKEA’s cheapest frame sets Fiskbo is great for producing this floating art style. The lightweight frame uses plastic instead of glass making it super light, not to mention child friendly, so great for the kids bedroom!
Here’s how to do it:
- All you need to do is either buy two Fiskbo frames or just one Fiskbo frame and a similar plastic sheet cut to the same size.
- Take the plastic sheet from the Fiskbo frame and place the print on top with a small piece of double sided sticky tape at the back of the print to secure it to the plastic sheet.
- Then place the second plastic sheet on top.
- Fit into the frame and secure in place. Hey presto floating frame done! We love how our officially licensed limited edition Jurassic Park art print looks.
Photo credit: Smart Arts Gallery
b). Metal hanging frames:
Another style of this floating trend is metal hanging frames.. We used our Rupert Fawcett prints which are already mounted, so work perfectly and took only seconds to do. With the botanical trend at the moment, we think these frames are great for displaying leaves and pressed flowers too!
Photo credit: Smart Arts Gallery
c). No drill acrylic frames:
Here’s a great idea from Francesca who runs the very inspiring Fall for DIY. Simply take acrylic sheets, mouldable glue from sugru and thumb tacks to create a clean, simple and what’s more, easy way to display art. See how to get this look here.
Photo credit: Fall For DIY
2. Colour block trend
Don’t think that you need to stick to the colour of frame you buy. Why not pick up a cheap frame from a charity shop and update it with a new colour that matches your interior style. Take a look at this guide here from Rust-oleum on how to quickly upcycle your frame using their spray paints.
Photo credit: Rust-oleum
3. No fuss with Command
We’re all about the easy route! Hanging your prints should be just that! Command is a life saver! No nails, no mess, no damage - it’s quick and easy to get your prints hung up and even better it doesn’t leave a mess when removing. There is such a variety of products from picture strips, hooks, clips, display ledges to key rails, you name it they have it! Check out award winning blogger and interior stylist Sarah Akwiscombe who uses Command to create a cool home workspace design. Sarah demonstrates how to get the most out Command’s product range and we’re sure you’ll be inspired! See guide here.
4. Gallery Wall
The more the merrier is one of our mottos and the current gallery wall trend is music to our ears! However, it’s easier said than done, so why not check out our guide on how to make the perfect gallery wall here.
Now there’s nothing stopping you from getting your beloved prints framed and easily placed on the wall. Go on we dare you, get your art up on the wall and make your walls smile!
Share this post
- Tags: art prints, colour block picture frames, command picture strips, frames, framing, Gallery wall, home decor, IKEA hack, movie art prints, no more nails, picture hooks, suspended frames